Greek Olive Pesto And Fried Zucchini Grilled Pitas
greek olive pesto and fried zucchini grilled pitas w/marinated feta + garbanzo beans.
- Add the cubed feta, thyme sprigs, basil, bay leaf, black peppercorns and crushed red pepper to an 8 ounce or larger glass jar.
- Pour enough olive oil over top so that the oil completely covers the feta.
- Screw the lid on the jar and place in the fridge for at least one hour or up to two weeks.
- Just crumble the feta onto whatever you wish.
- In a food processor, combine olives, parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic and pepperoncini and blend 1 minute.
- With motor running, slowly pour in olive oil until a thick, smooth paste is formed.
- Store in the fridge in a glass jar or bowl until ready to use.
- When you are just about ready to put your pitas together it is time to "fry" the zucchini.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. In another bowl, whisk together the Panko, flour, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Dip each zucchini slice in the egg mixture to coat, then dredge through the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place in the skillet and cook until golden. This took me about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- When finished, remove the slices and let drain on a paper towel.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add a drizzle of the oil from the marinated feta or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the chickpeas and toss well.
- Cook until the chickpeas are warmed through.
- Pre heat the grill to medium heat.
- Break open your pita pockets and rub the inside of each pocket with a little of the greek olive pesto, Place a few zucchini slices on top of the pesto and then a handful of chickpeas.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and a little sprinkle of marinated feta.
- Carefully place the pockets on the grill and grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until the pockets are warm.
- Remove from the grill and stuff each pocket with arugula and more marinated feta.
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Cholesterol||Less than||300mg||300 mg|
Calories per gram:
Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • Protein 4